Sunday, March 10, 2013

Outside Dunn, NC


Outside Dunn, NC
Oil on canvas, 10x10
Tubac trip painting No. 2

I spent the night Saturday in a hotel in Plymouth, NC.
When I got up this morning, I decided to head back to the coast (I got a little lost yesterday) and look for stuff to paint.
I found Belhaven on the map, and it sounded pretty and looked like it had possibilities, so I decided to go. It was about 30 miles from Plymouth, and I could go one of two ways. I set out to discover which would be the prettiest.
Let it just suffice to say that I asked two women, both in their 40s, both natives of Plymouth, and neither one - neither one! - had ever been to Belhaven, or on either of the roads to there.
Wow.
***
Belhaven, when I got there, was pretty - and also deserted. Seems like lots of everything is closed in North Carolina on a Sunday. 
 
So I left Belhaven and in a while, stopped in Wilson, NC, to get gas. I'd seen a sign for a barbecue restaurant, and asked the woman behind the counter for directions.  
 
I followed her route, but I nearly drove past the restaurant. There were so many vehicles in the lot, I thought it was a car dealership! Then I saw the policeman directing traffic.
Guess the little towns are empty because everyone's in Wilson, eating barbecue.
p.s., it was delicious!  

 
***




*** 

Some photos from the road


 Beautiful Belhaven

No one is out in Belhaven on a Sunday morning! 



 Loved this house at the edge of a field outside Washington, NC


 A large gull circled Sunday morning. Though it got very warm by the end of the day, the morning was frosty.

 Hahahaha! There really IS a Farmville! 


 Here's Parker's Restaurant. See what I mean about looking like a car lot? 


This has got to be the best-named store EVER! 


 Usually, I spend HOURS in South of the Border... Yes! I admit it! 



Today, I drove right by. Who AM I?


First two paintings, hanging in the van 




A gorgeous sunset over Georgia 




No comments:

Post a Comment