Monday, March 11, 2013

Okefenokee


Okefenokee 
oil on canvas, 10x10
Tubac trip painting No. 3 

I spent much of the day in and around the Okefenokee Swamp, a gigantic area of pines and palms (primarily), that stretches from Georgia into Florida and back into Georgia, where it meets up with the Suwanee River and the waterways around it. 

I saw quite a few alligators in the swamp. The ones I saw were small, but a man who stopped told me there was a 10-foot-long one just down the road. 

In the pond that's in the very front of this painting, two alligators lazed on a small hummock that raised above the surface. I don't think they moved for the entire time that I stood there and painted. They were like statues. 

The wildlife refuge area was well-maintained and well-used. I saw lots of folks in cars, on bikes and walking, looking at birds and gators and who knows what all. 
But I circled around the area as I headed south and west, and really found myself in some places that raised thoughts of "Deliverance." They were pretty, but I sure wasn't going to get out of the car and paint. 

I'm sure no one would have done anything to me, but I would have felt awkward and nervous - and who knows? 

Here's my painting in the landscape

***

Scenes from the swamp and beyond


 These cows and donkeys were just outside of the Okefenokee Wildlife Management Area

 And you thought spring would never come! 


 The end of a loooong train in Folkson, GA


 A farm field outside Madison, FL


Melanie, with Roxie, a blind Yorkie, helped me find my way on Monday

 This ostrich guards the cows in the field beside my hotel in Madison, FL


Isn't the bark on this tree gorgeous? 

No comments:

Post a Comment